[mercury-users] detstack overflow on install and simple invocation of mmc

Paul Bone pbone at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Sun Aug 2 14:06:59 AEST 2009

On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 01:00:16PM +1000, Mark Wassell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am getting the following error at the end of the install and whenever
> I run mmc with no parameters.
>
> mmc --generate-dependencies --grade hlc.gc      --mercury-linkage shared
> --flags LIB_FLAGS   --flags INTER_FLAGS
> -R/usr/local/mercury-0.13.1/lib/mercury/lib/hlc.gc
> -R/usr/local/mercury-0.13.1/lib/mercury/lib  --no-warn-nothing-exported
> mer_std
>
> Mercury runtime: memory zone detstack#0 overflowed
> This may have been caused by a stack overflow, due to unbounded recursion.
>
> I am running:
>
> Debian - Release 5.0.2
> Kernel Linux 2.6.26-2-amd64
> Memory: 1005.3 MiB
>
> I believe I have enough memory and no other application is giving a
> problem. I am running through VMWare.

Hi Mark.

We've noticed a number of problems with recent versions of GCC.  What version
of GCC are you using?  If it helps we know that gcc-3.4 works fine,
unfortunatly it will be removed from Debian soon.  Otherwise some workarrounds
are available.  Please see the FAQ.  I'm also activly working on packages for
Debian.  Before they make it into the main repositories I'll host them in our
own bleeding-edge repositories.  Let me know and I"ll e-mail you when they're
ready.  (They only support the asm_fast.gc grade with static linking for now).

Thanks.