[mercury-users] How to capture the io stream for call_system/4?

Ondrej Bojar bojar at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Mar 27 13:55:24 AEST 2007

Hi,

The module I'm attaching did not make it to the Manarchive yet, because it's not
failsafe enough and contains weird workarounds for some things. You can use it
as a sample, but I would actually suggest that we try to develop such a module
in Manarchive together, because I need it as well.

exchange.m defines predicates launching a subprocess and exchanging line
messages with it.

Another big drawbacks are:
- You can provide the *string* of command and args only, and shell crunches
   that, so you have all the stupid quotation issues;
   Providing list of args and a command name is definitely a missing alternative
   way.
- No proper error handling is done. What I ultimately want is to explicitly
   return signal/error code as an alternative to a message read.

Let me know if you were interested to start a proper Manarchive package (say
'processes') development.

Cheers, O.