[mercury-users] Debian package?

Roy Ward royward770 at actrix.co.nz
Fri Jun 1 11:15:48 AEST 2007

Hi all,

I noticed that the Debian packages for Mercury were recently orphaned:

I have been thinking of stepping up to the plate and taking this on, but I thought it was worth checking a few things
out here first:

1) Is there someone else about to take this on? I don't want to step on anyones toes on this.
2) Are there technical reasons why it's not a good idea to try and have a Mercury package as part of the Debian reopsitory?
3) Are there political/other reasons why it's not a good idea to try and have a Mercury package as part of the Debian
reopsitory?
4) I've not a Mercury developer - would the dev team be OK about having an outsider doing the packaging?
5) There is a Dummy RC bug (#281369) to prevent Mercury getting into testing/stable - is this because of the problem
with various versions of gcc, or is there some other reason for this?
6) USERS: are there other Mercury users that would make use of this?

This is just an initial query - I'd have to learn more about the Debian packing system, find a sponsor (I'm not a Debian
Developer), etc.

If it's not appropriate for me to put packages in Debian, I might still look at putting some .deb files on a website
somewhere.

My plan would be to only package the latest numbered release (currently 13.1) unless there is some real showstopper bug
that was fixed in a rotd, and to make it depend on an appropriate version of gcc.

Thanks in advance for any comments on this.

Cheers,
Roy Ward.