[mercury-users] destructive update?

Peter Ross pro at missioncriticalit.com
Mon Jul 23 11:17:45 AEST 2007

On 7/10/07, Barney Fisher <barney.fisher at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I notice in the Mercury language manual (section 5.3) that the
> compiler does not yet reuse dead values.  If implemented this really
> would be a great addition to the Mercury system.  How far away is an
> implementation of this?

Nancy Mazur did some work on this, see

http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/research/mercury/information/papers.html#mazur-thesis

Nancy and I did a prototype implementation that still needs to be
folded into the main compiler.  Nancy did some work on this recently,
but I haven't heard from her in awhile.  I would estimate that there
is about 1 months work to reintegrate all her work into the mainline
compiler.