[mercury-users] Deep profiler data corrupted: unwritten nodes

Ondrej Bojar obo at cuni.cz
Tue Jan 2 21:50:08 AEDT 2007

Hi and Happy New Year to everyone.

So the deep profiler problem is indeed caused by missing calls to
initialization (and finalization) procedures of modules that come from a
custom library. And the error was of mine.

I did not know that I must include --init-file flag for main program
compilation, so that mmc would include the library's init procedures to
the main initializers. However, this mistake is observed only with deep
profiling grade (or possibly library modules that do need some
initialization), as the linking of the main program always succeeds and
the executable runs.

For those interested, a working testcase is included to demonstrate
both: using an 'installed' and 'non-installed' library. In the testcase
directory type either 'make testinst' or 'make testnoninst'. In either
case, the library 'mylib' is prepared and the program 'mylib' is
compiled in asm_fast.gc.profdeep grade. See the main Makefile for the
two options of correct linking against the library.

Best,
   Ondrej.