[mercury-users] 15 problems I had learning (as much as I have...) about Mercury.

Julian Fondren ayrnieu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 22:27:11 AEDT 2007

As of sending this, the following URL shows all of them, and
only them.

  http://community.livejournal.com/mercury_blog/2007/02/

They have varying degrees of trivialty.  The process of

  1. have an error!
  2. copy error to ~/outgoing/mercury-hair-n
  3. research error
  4. fix up #2 and post it with a cute title and tags

really helped me learn to understand Mercury's error messages,
I think, and definitely kept me motivated even when the
error seemed particulary mysterious and frustrating (the
'seemingly spurious' error I asked about earlier on this
list was one of those).

I haven't posted this to reddit or any such buzz site
(they hate LJ indexes like that, anyway), so you needn't
worry that people are judging Mercury by -my- perceptions.

Anyway, I think maybe someone else learning Mercury will
see this technique or that page and find it helpful.

Thanks,
Julian.

p.s. this post inspired me to use that 'mercury-hair-n'
filename: