[mercury-users] thread safety

Michael Day mikeday at yeslogic.com
Fri Feb 9 09:21:03 AEDT 2007

> To explain more fully, yes, there is one shared mutex, so a foreign_proc
> marked non-thread-safe will not run concurrently with any other
> foreign_proc so marked (or itself). However, if a number of
> foreign_procs run one after the other, and need to share data, e.g.
> through a global variable, this will not be safe. read_to_matrix and
> write_as_tiff are Mercury predicates that call a number of foreign_procs
> in sequence to do their stuff. Although each foreign_proc called will
> not run concurrently with any other, there is nothing stopping the
> sequence being interrupted, e.g. read_to_matrix running its first
> foreign_proc which sets a global, followed by write_as_tiff in another
> thread running a foreign_proc that modifies that global, followed by
> read_to_matrix running its second foreign_proc that accesses that global
> (which has been screwed up by the other thread).

In Prince we mark all foreign procs as being thread_safe for this
reason, as the compilers enforcement of locking is at the wrong level of
granularity for many situations and it is safer to enforce it ourselves
at a higher level.

Personally I would rather rename thread_safe/non_thread_safe to
something less misleading, like mutexed/non_mutexed or whatever. Thread
safety is a much deeper issue than wrapping an individual predicate in a
lock; if the Java "synchronized" keyword was called "thread_safe" people
would just add it to every method to make everything safe :)

Michael

--
Print XML with Prince!
http://www.princexml.com