[mercury-users] Modes for partly uninstantiated list

doug.auclair at logicaltypes.com doug.auclair at logicaltypes.com
Wed Feb 7 06:42:55 AEDT 2007

Dear Ralph,

Thank you to your detailed response to the Prolog programmer with the
noughts-n-crosses (tic-tac-toe) problem.  I vote your response should
go into the 'Mercury for Prolog Programmers' HOWTO, as partial instantiation
seems to be a recurring problem for Prolog programmers (like me) coding
in Mercury.

You wrote:

>Once you've tried that, if you still want to find out how to use solver
>types, write back to the mailing list and we'll respond in more detail
>when we have time.

Yes, please!  I tried writing a sudoku solver, but didn't quite get it right,
as I believe all nine nonants (== 9 "quadr"ants?) needed to be solved
at the same time?  Anyway, I would find the solver solution to quite
edifying.

Sincerely,
Doug Auclair