[mercury-users] feature request: best_path/5 for graph module

doug.auclair at logicaltypes.com doug.auclair at logicaltypes.com
Thu Feb 1 00:32:40 AEDT 2007

Dear all,

Hmm! My post from yesterday to the developers list seems to have
become lost in the aether.  Anyway, back in April of last year, I
posted a for review of best_path/5 and other non-intrusive improvements
to the graph module (which included a diff -u of the additions), see:

best_path/5 is more than 100x faster than path/4, which for a user
in industry (like myself) makes using the graph module viable, instead
of untenable for graphs larger than trivial examples (i.e. real-world
problem-solving).  N.B.: These new features include comments in the
Mercury-documentation style, so I believe the library ref man would
be updated automagically.

best_path/5 and the other features addressed in the review need to be
in the graph module because they use internal (implementation only)
information of that module.

Since there were no derogatory remarks to my review, would you please
add these improvements at your earliest convenience? Like, the next ROTD?
Being required to patch each build manually is tedious and error-prone,
so adding the requested features will not hurt the current system and actually
benefit all a good deal.

Sincerely,
Doug Auclair