[mercury-users] [OT] Building gcc-4.1 for Mac?

Julien Fischer juliensf at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Sat Oct 7 21:28:30 AEST 2006

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 doug.auclair at logicaltypes.com wrote:

> Dear Julien,
>
> Hi!  I applied your patches, and got past the boehm GC dying during compilation,
> but now I have a new problem:
>
> gc_grade=`scripts/ml --grade reg.gc --print-gc-grade`; \
> cd boehm_gc && PATH=../scripts:../util:$PATH MMAKE_VPATH=. MMAKE_DIR=../scripts ../scripts/mmake  GC_GRADE=$gc_grade
> MAKEFLAGS=""; export MAKEFLAGS; \
> make  -j1 GRADE=reg.gc GC_GRADE=gc \
>        libgc.a libgc.dylib \
>        FINAL_INSTALL_MERC_GC_LIB_DIR=/Users/ptolemy/languages/mercury/mercury-0.13.0/lib/mercury/lib \
>        dylib
> ../scripts/mgnuc --grade reg.gc --no-ansi --no-check --no-mercury-stdlib-dir -I./include -DSILENT -DNO_DEBUGGING -DNO_EXECUTE_PERMISSION -DLARGE_CONFIG -fPIC -DMR_PIC     -c -o alloc.o alloc.c
> cc1: warning: command line option "-fobjc-exceptions" is valid for ObjC/ObjC++ but not for C
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-fconstant-cfstrings"
> make[3]: *** [alloc.o] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [submake] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [boehm_gc] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Are any of the flags to mgnuc being translated into the flags that the compiler dies on?

No, I'm pretty sure that they are nothing to do with us.

Both of those options are apple extensions to gcc.  Could you let us
know exactly how mgnuc is invoking the C compiler.  (Add the line

 	EXTRA_MGNUCFLAGS = --verbose

to a file called Mmake.params at the top level of the Mercury source
tree - this should cause the mgnuc script to print out the command
before executing it.)

Julien.