[mercury-users] Proposed change to char literal syntax

Ian MacLarty maclarty at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Oct 2 18:14:49 AEST 2006

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 02:41:51PM +1000, Ralph Becket wrote:
> Ian MacLarty, Monday,  2 October 2006:
> > You haven't said what the proposed change is.
>
> We have not worked out the details.  One option is to
> - require character literals to appear in single quotes
> - make quoted symbols lose any "fixity" (so '+', say, will not be
>   interpreted as an infix symbol).
>
> But we already use single quotes to delimit odd function symbols (e.g.,
> ones starting with capital letters).  It's not clear precisely what the
> solution is, but it won't be syntactically heavy and it will require
> users to change some of their programs.

Okay.  My only concern is that I'd like to keep the ability to use
non-standard characters in names.  I don't mind if you change the
notation for this though.

The reason I want this feature is because I automatically generate
Mercury code from another language that allows non-standard characters
(such as "-") in names and I'd like to avoid having to mangle the names
in the generated Mercury code.

Ian.