[mercury-users] extending mercury-tcltk... (PLEASE READ THIS INSTEAD...)

Jörg Roman Rudnick joerg.rudnick at t-online.de
Sun Nov 26 02:36:30 AEDT 2006

Hi,

lately, I have been transcribing examples of Ousterhout / Welch to
Mercury. For that sake, I am extending mercury_tcltk wherever I need to,
as it is quite easy.

In consequence, I have growing functionality which might be interesting
to others, too.

The problem is that I found it helpful to split mtk.m into submodules,
e.g. tk.core, tk.canvas, tk.conf...

So the following questions do arise:

1) Would you still be interested in these extensions?

2) Would you like to specify proposals how to split mtk.m?

3) There were some comments you made in the code:

a. At mtk.m:604 you write a following comment:

"% XXX hack until we can implement cget."

Does this mean you want a

:-pred cget(tcl_interp, widget, config, config, io.state, io.state).
:-mode cget_string(in, in, in, out, di, uo) is det.

or even a "cget(tcl_interp, widget, config, io.state, io.state)" ??

b. In graphics/README you write:

"We haven't worked out how to prevent the Tcl/Tk library from giving a
tcl prompt when it enters the event loop. If you know how, let us know!"

I have made my mercury_tcltk run without the prompt; may I modify this?

4) Would you be interested in additional mercury_tcltk code samples?

5) Shall these code contributions have test code and to which extent?

My regrets again for the silly proposal I posted before...

All the best,

              Nick