[mercury-users] pragma memo and failure determinism

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Jul 7 10:54:49 AEST 2006

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 09:37:11PM +1000, Julien Fischer wrote:
> > I'm seeing the following error in my programs:
> > foo.m:969: Error: `pragma memo' declaration not allowed for procedure
> > with
> > foo.m:969:   determinism `failure'.
>
> No, it as an error and by default the compiler should treat it as such.

Why is it an error?  The compiler doesn't need to do anything to
ensure that computations of solutions are never repeated, and the
computation is optimal.  Why not silently ignore the declaration?

--
Peter Schachte              About the time we think we can make ends meet,
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        somebody moves the ends.