[mercury-users] Mercury compilation problem, Mac OS X

Daniel Elenius elenius at csl.sri.com
Sat Jan 28 03:44:57 AEDT 2006

Julien Fischer wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Daniel Elenius wrote:
>

>> I'm trying to compile mercury-compiler on Mac OS X 10.4.4
>>
>> I get this error when i execute make (after running ./configure
>> --with-cc=/usr/bin/gcc-3.3 --prefix=/opt/local/mercury):
>>
>> /usr/bin/gcc-3.3 -multiply_defined suppress
>> -dynamiclib -single_module -install_name \
>>
>> /opt/local/mercury/lib/mercury/lib/powerpc-apple-darwin8.4.0/libgc.dylib \
>>         -o libgc.dylib alloc.o reclaim.o allchblk.o misc.o mach_dep.o
>> os_dep.o mark_rts.o headers.o mark.o obj_map.o blacklst.o finalize.o
>> new_hblk.o dbg_mlc.o malloc.o stubborn.o checksums.o solaris_threads.o
>> aix_irix_threads.o pthread_support.o pthread_stop_world.o
>> darwin_stop_world.o typd_mlc.o ptr_chck.o mallocx.o solaris_pthreads.o
>> gcj_mlc.o specific.o gc_dlopen.o backgraph.o win32_threads.o dyn_load.o -lc
>> ld: Undefined symbols:
>> _sprintf$LDBLStub
>> /usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
>> make[3]: *** [libgc.dylib] Error 1
>> make[2]: *** [submake] Error 2
>> make[1]: *** [boehm_gc] Error 2
>>

> This looks to be a recent problem - it was working on earlier versions of 10.4
> (and I've just tried it on 10.3.9 and all seems well).  I'd guess that what
> has happened is the version of the Boehm GC we ship with mercury 0.12.X is no
> longer compatible with recent versions MacOS 10.4 - I'll have a look into
> this.
>
> In the meantime you may want to try using a recent rotd rather than the
> 0.12 release since the former uses a more recent version of the Boehm
> collector.

Ok, that worked.

However, when I subsequently do 'make install' it goes on forever. I let
it run for about 6 hours before I interrupted it. Seems like it's in a
loop it shouldn't be in...

Also, I was curious about this from the ./configure script:

checking for jikes... /usr/bin/jikes
checking for java... /usr/bin/java
checking for jar... /usr/bin/jar
checking if the above Java SDK works and is sufficiently recent... no

Does this mean I won't be able to interface with Java to/from my Mercury
programs? Does it require Java 5.0?

Daniel