[mercury-users] Mercury compilation problem, Mac OS X

Daniel Elenius elenius at csl.sri.com
Fri Jan 27 14:32:24 AEDT 2006

I'm trying to compile mercury-compiler on Mac OS X 10.4.4

I get this error when i execute make (after running ./configure
--with-cc=/usr/bin/gcc-3.3 --prefix=/opt/local/mercury):

/usr/bin/gcc-3.3 -multiply_defined suppress
-dynamiclib -single_module -install_name \

/opt/local/mercury/lib/mercury/lib/powerpc-apple-darwin8.4.0/libgc.dylib \
        -o libgc.dylib alloc.o reclaim.o allchblk.o misc.o mach_dep.o
os_dep.o mark_rts.o headers.o mark.o obj_map.o blacklst.o finalize.o
new_hblk.o dbg_mlc.o malloc.o stubborn.o checksums.o solaris_threads.o
aix_irix_threads.o pthread_support.o pthread_stop_world.o
darwin_stop_world.o typd_mlc.o ptr_chck.o mallocx.o solaris_pthreads.o
gcj_mlc.o specific.o gc_dlopen.o backgraph.o win32_threads.o dyn_load.o -lc
ld: Undefined symbols:
_sprintf$LDBLStub
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
make[3]: *** [libgc.dylib] Error 1
make[2]: *** [submake] Error 2
make[1]: *** [boehm_gc] Error 2

Here is the output of my ./configure run:

daniel-elenius-powerbook58-3:~/Temp/mercury-compiler-0.12.1/mercury-compiler-0.12.1
elenius$ ./configure --with-cc=/usr/bin/gcc-3.3 --prefix=/opt/local/mercury
checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.4.0
checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.4.0
checking for cygpath... echo
checking for cygpath... echo
looking for an already installed Mercury compiler to bootstrap with...
checking for mmc... no
checking for GCC source directory... not_found
checking whether to enable the GCC back-end interface... no
checking whether to enable the Aditi back-end... looking for GNU Make...
checking for gmake... no
checking for make... make
found GNU Make: make
looking for a way to create named pipes...
checking for mkfifo... /usr/bin/mkfifo
looking for a way to create temporary files...
checking for mktemp... /sw/sbin/mktemp
checking for install-info... /sw/sbin/install-info
checking for texi2dvi... /usr/bin/texi2dvi
checking for pdftex... no
checking for lynx... no
checking for dvips... no
checking for makeinfo... /usr/bin/makeinfo
checking for info... /usr/bin/info
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for hostname... /bin/hostname
checking for gcc... /usr/bin/gcc-3.3
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether /usr/bin/gcc-3.3 accepts -g... yes
checking for /usr/bin/gcc-3.3 option to accept ANSI C... none needed
checking whether C compiler needs -no-cpp-precomp... no
checking whether we can use -fno-strict-aliasing... yes
checking whether we need to use -fno-strict-aliasing... no
checking whether to pass -I/usr/local/include to C compiler... no
checking whether to pass -L/usr/local/lib to the linker... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... /usr/bin/gcc-3.3 -E
checking for use of a Microsoft C compiler... checking for egrep... grep -E
no
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for sin in -lm... yes
checking for ilasm... no
checking for gacutil... no
checking for Microsoft.NET Framework SDK... no
checking for cl... no
checking for Microsoft.NET Visual C++... no
checking for csc... no
checking for jikes... /usr/bin/jikes
checking for java... /usr/bin/java
checking for jar... /usr/bin/jar
checking if the above Java SDK works and is sufficiently recent... no
checking for sysconf... yes
checking for getpagesize... yes
checking for gethostname... yes
checking for mprotect... yes
checking for memalign... no
checking for memmove... yes
checking for sigaction... yes
checking for siginterrupt... yes
checking for setitimer... yes
checking for snprintf... yes
checking for _snprintf... no
checking for vsnprintf... yes
checking for _vsnprintf... no
checking for strerror... yes
checking for open... yes
checking for close... yes
checking for dup... yes
checking for dup2... yes
checking for fdopen... yes
checking for fileno... yes
checking for fstat... yes
checking for stat... yes
checking for lstat... yes
checking for isatty... yes
checking for getpid... yes
checking for setpgid... yes
checking for fork... yes
checking for execlp... yes
checking for wait... yes
checking for kill... yes
checking for grantpt... yes
checking for unlockpt... yes
checking for ptsname... yes
checking for tcgetattr... yes
checking for tcsetattr... yes
checking for ioctl... yes
checking for access... yes
checking for sleep... yes
checking for opendir... yes
checking for readdir... yes
checking for closedir... yes
checking for mkdir... yes
checking for symlink... yes
checking for readlink... yes
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking sys/wait.h usability... yes
checking sys/wait.h presence... yes
checking for sys/wait.h... yes
checking sys/siginfo.h usability... no
checking sys/siginfo.h presence... no
checking for sys/siginfo.h... no
checking sys/signal.h usability... yes
checking sys/signal.h presence... yes
checking for sys/signal.h... yes
checking ucontext.h usability... yes
checking ucontext.h presence... yes
checking for ucontext.h... yes
checking asm/sigcontext.h usability... no
checking asm/sigcontext.h presence... no
checking for asm/sigcontext.h... no
checking sys/param.h usability... yes
checking sys/param.h presence... yes
checking for sys/param.h... yes
checking sys/time.h usability... yes
checking sys/time.h presence... yes
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking sys/times.h usability... yes
checking sys/times.h presence... yes
checking for sys/times.h... yes
checking for sys/types.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/stat.h... (cached) yes
checking fcntl.h usability... yes
checking fcntl.h presence... yes
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking termios.h usability... yes
checking termios.h presence... yes
checking for termios.h... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h usability... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h presence... yes
checking for sys/ioctl.h... yes
checking sys/stropts.h usability... no
checking sys/stropts.h presence... no
checking for sys/stropts.h... no
checking windows.h usability... no
checking windows.h presence... no
checking for windows.h... no
checking dirent.h usability... yes
checking dirent.h presence... yes
checking for dirent.h... yes
checking getopt.h usability... yes
checking getopt.h presence... yes
checking for getopt.h... yes
checking for `sigaction' field name... sa_handler
checking for working `sigcontext_struct' in second arg... no
checking for working `sigcontext_struct' in third arg... no
checking for `siginfo_t'... yes
checking for `siginfo' pc access at signals... no
checking for an integer type with the same size as a pointer... int
checking for an integer type of at least 64 bits... long long
checking for an integer type of at least 32 bits... int
checking for pid_t... yes
checking for dev_t... yes
checking for ino_t... yes
checking for an integer type of at least 16 bits... short
checking the number of low tag bits available... 2
checking the number of bytes per word... 4
checking the number of words in a synchronization term... 13
checking the number of bits per word... 32
checking whether we can use unboxed floats... no
checking whether float is 64-bit... no
checking whether double is 64-bit... yes
checking whether long double is 64-bit... yes
checking whether architecture is big-endian... yes
checking whether architecture is little-endian... no
checking whether we can use files as locks... yes
checking return values of system... yes
checking to see if we can handle contexts blocking on IO... yes
checking to see if strings.h is needed for bzero... no
checking whether we can use gcc labels... no
checking whether we can use global registers without gcc labels... yes
checking whether we can support profiling on this system... yes
checking if C compiler is egcs... no
checking whether to enable the deep profiler... yes
using grade `reg.gc' as the default grade for applications
configure: WARNING: Mercury compiler not yet installed
****    cannot use grade `hlc.gc'
****    using grade `reg.gc' to compile the compiler
****    after installation is complete you should reinstall
****    from scratch so you can use the more efficient
****    grade `hlc.gc'.
using ` reg.gc hlc.gc reg.gc.prof reg.gc.memprof reg.gc.profdeep
reg.gc.tr reg.gc.tr.debug reg.gc.tr.decldebug hlc.par.gc' as the set of
library grades to install
checking whether the assembler handles .type... yes
checking for as... /usr/bin/as
checking whether the assembler does full preprocessing... no
checking whether structure assignment conflicts with global registers... yes
checking whether Mercury supports shared libraries on this system... yes
checking whether to use two-level namespaces... yes
checking options for static linking... -static
checking for struct tms and times function... yes
checking for Sleep function... no
checking ieeefp.h usability... no
checking ieeefp.h presence... no
checking for ieeefp.h... no
checking for isnan function... yes
checking for isnanf function... no
checking for isinf function... yes
checking for isinff function... no
checking for socket in -lsocket... no
checking for inet_addr in -lnsl... no
checking whether we can use sockets (for Morphine)... yes
checking whether to enable the external debugger... yes
checking dlfcn.h usability... yes
checking dlfcn.h presence... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
checking for dlopen... yes
checking for dlclose... yes
checking for dlsym... yes
checking for dlerror... yes
checking whether to enable the new MercuryFile struct... no
checking whether to use the MS Visual C Runtime... no
checking readline/readline.h usability... yes
checking readline/readline.h presence... yes
checking for readline/readline.h... yes
checking readline/history.h usability... yes
checking readline/history.h presence... yes
checking for readline/history.h... yes
looking for termcap or curses (needed by readline)...
checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... yes
checking for readline in -lreadline... yes
checking for firefox... no
checking for mozilla... no
checking for xsltproc... /usr/bin/xsltproc
checking whether any C files need to be rebuilt...
no - they are compatible with autoconfigured settings
checking for C shell executable... /bin/tcsh
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Mmake.common
config.status: creating scripts/Mmake.vars
config.status: creating scripts/mmc
config.status: creating scripts/mercury.bat
config.status: creating scripts/mprof
config.status: creating scripts/mercury_update_interface
config.status: creating scripts/mgnuc
config.status: creating scripts/parse_ml_options.sh-subr
config.status: creating scripts/ml
config.status: creating scripts/c2init
config.status: creating scripts/mmake
config.status: creating scripts/mdb
config.status: creating scripts/mdbrc
config.status: creating scripts/mdprof
config.status: creating scripts/canonical_grade
config.status: creating scripts/mkfifo_using_mknod
config.status: creating scripts/mercury_config
config.status: creating scripts/Mercury.config
config.status: creating scripts/Mercury.config.bootstrap
config.status: creating scripts/prepare_tmp_dir_fixed_part
config.status: creating bindist/bindist.INSTALL
config.status: creating bindist/bindist.Makefile
config.status: creating tools/lmc
config.status: creating tools/dotime
config.status: creating runtime/mercury_dotnet.cs
config.status: creating java/runtime/Constants.java
config.status: creating java/runtime/Native.java
config.status: creating runtime/mercury_conf.h
config.status: executing default commands