[mercury-users] gcc 3.2

Julien Fischer juliensf at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Feb 20 13:43:05 AEDT 2006

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, Michael Day wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For the record, I get compile errors building rotd-2005-01-11 on Fedora
> Core 4 using gcc 3.2.3. It's the usual thing:
>
> mercury_layout_util.c:894:
> unable to find a register to spill in class `SIREG'
>
> The reason I mention this is because I was looking at the release notes
> for Mercury 0.12.2 and it explicitly points out that 2.96, 3.0, 3.3.1 and
> 4.0 will NOT work. However, it does not say anything about 3.2, implying
> that it might work -- but it doesn't, at least, not for me.

The versions of gcc listed in the release notes are the versions of gcc for
which Mercury *really* does not work - so much so that it's not even worth
bothering with that version of gcc.  gcc 3.2 does not fall into this category.

We have had problems similar to the above with gcc 3.2 in the past - in most
cases the workarounds are pretty straightforward.  I'll install gcc 3.2.3
on one of our machines and take a look at it.

Cheers,
Julien.