[mercury-users] Optimisation of functions and field updates

Julien Fischer juliensf at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Aug 9 14:52:08 AEST 2006

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Michael Day wrote:

> Hi Julien,
>
>> In fact looking at the generated C code more closely it is only
>> a problem for the MLDS backnd, the LLDS->LLDS optimizations
>> clean up the redundant assignments (at least for my example).
>
> That's odd. Would it affect matters if you defined the functions and data
> type in a different module to the module that uses them?

Without --intermodule-optimization definitely :-)

With --intermodule-optimization maybe.

In the case where the functions and data type are defined in a different
module you might want to check if the clauses for the functions are being put
in the .opt files.  If they are and the compiler is not inlining them in
another module then it's possible that inlining those calls might be causing
the inliner to exceed some threshold or other (see the --inline-*-threshold
options).

Julien.