[mercury-users] Chart parsing in mercury

Ralph Becket rafe at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Apr 19 09:47:26 AEST 2006

Hi David,

David Allen, Tuesday, 18 April 2006:
> Also, I've been thinking about fact assertion for the chart table, is
> there any other way to do this other than to use Aditi, and is Aditi
> still being developed for or is it a dead project - I noticed the
> website hasn't been updated for a while?

Aditi is pretty much dead.  When someone starts talking about asserting
facts in their programs, that's usually a sign that they're still
thinking in terms of Prolog, rather than Mercury.  Unlike Prolog,
Mercury takes purity very seriously and doesn't have non-logical
operations such as cut, assert/retract, var, and so forth.  Mercury does
have support for memoization, however, which may provide what you want.
Look up `pragma memo' in the Reference Manual for details.  The only
other way to pass accumulated data through your program is to explicitly
pass around accumulator arguments.

We could give you more concrete advice if you could show us a sketch of
the sort of code you'd like to be able to write and what you'd like it
to do.

Cheers,
-- Ralph