[mercury-users] Constructing Mercury types in C

doug.auclair at logicaltypes.com doug.auclair at logicaltypes.com
Tue Apr 11 06:23:40 AEST 2006

Dear all,

Hi!  On occasion I am required to make C call-outs, and
it would be convenient for me to construct and return
Mercury typed values from the C code, and then use those
values in the Mercury code.  Reading the refman, I didn't
see a way to use a ForeignType that way.

For example, a transaction's identifier gives a set of
attributes, some of these attribute values are strings and
some are integral.  So it'd be nice to construct a
string.poly_type in the C code and return that for an
arbitrary input attribute.  Also, it'd be nice to associate
the attribute's name with its value, so constructing and
returning a pair(string, string.poly_type) would also be
nice.

I suppose I could have the C function signature be:

enum string_poly_type_value { INT, STRING, CHAR, FLOAT };
void value(const char* lookup_name,
           enum string_poly_type_value* index,
           int* maybe0, char** maybe1, char* maybe2,
           float* maybe3);

to return the string.poly_type value usable by Mercury,
but I'm wondering if there's a better way to go about
doing this.

Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,
Doug Auclair