[mercury-users] GUI Toolkits and Mercury

Jonathan Morgan jon.morgan at optusnet.com.au
Wed Nov 23 18:47:13 AEDT 2005

Julien Fischer wrote:

> > > Wasn't the honours project for developing a more declarative GUI?
> >
> > Yes: there's nothing particularly challenging about just adding a
> > wrapper to an existing GUI library.  And as researchers, we're
> > interested in exploring better ways of building GUIs: current methods
> > are really pretty awful.
> >
> My meaning here was that the declarative binding would be written
> on top of wxWidgets; we certainly had no intention of having the whole
> thing written from scratch.

The spec suggested that it could use anything (within reason) that the
student wanted to - among the suggestions were the already existing OpenGL
and Tk.  Writing an entire new binding would not leave as much time for
exploring the declarative GUI, which would need research skills and
creativity, what you want from Honours students.

Jon