[mercury-users] Recursive make considered harmful

Peter Ross pro at missioncriticalit.com
Mon Nov 14 20:30:03 AEDT 2005

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 10:08:55AM +1100, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> On 07-Nov-2005, Peter Ross <pro at missioncriticalit.com> wrote:
> > I've just been reading "Recursive make considered harmful" [1] and since
> > we are having similar problems with our build process, I thought I would
> > try and implement the ideas from it using mmake.
>
> Which problems have you been having?

We have many directories, each directory depends on libraries contained
in other directories.  If a library changed so that it required another
library then we had to add that information to each directory which used
that Mmakefile.  This was painful to do and people were not doing it in
all the correct spots leading to broken builds.

My goal was to come up with a system where this information could be
automatically inferred or had to only be recorded once.  My starting
point for this research was the paper mentioned above that someone sent
me years ago.