[mercury-users] Building Mercury on Windows

Peter Ross pro at missioncriticalit.com
Wed Feb 9 19:55:50 AEDT 2005

Sergey Khorev wrote:

>Hi, I'd like to share some experience with building ROTD on latest
>Cygwin (1.5.12-1).
>
>1) scripts/ml hangs when trying to demangle (so I've set
>demangle=false by hands in ml :)
>I guess it arises from poor Cygwin FIFOs. Also I wonder whether latest
>Mercury is tested under Cygwin.
>Either this is latest Cygwin "feature" or Mercury team uses cross-gcc :)

I use cygwin a lot here at work, and have never had this problem.

>2) gcc-3.3.x issues internal error during compilation , so I used gcc 3.4.1-1.

Yes this is a known bug, it can be fixed by ensuring the -O0 is passed
to gcc.

>Also I tried to build Mercury for MinGW (with -mno-cygwin)

Alas I've never tried to build the Mingw version.

>4) configure doesn't detect that hlc.par.gc couldn't be built with MinGW version
>(or, maybe, MinGW version should try to use Windows threads rather
>than pthreads?)

I have however built versions which use the MS C compiler.  There does
exist a windows pthread library (which is layered on top of windows
threads).  This has worked fine for me building the hlc.par.gc grade.