[mercury-users] Installation of Mercury under Cygwin

Wim Vanhoof wva at info.fundp.ac.be
Wed Oct 13 18:25:33 AEST 2004

>You are calling from the cygwin prompt?  Not from the DOS prompt?

Hi Pete,

yes, we are calling from the cygwin prompt. I forward the mail from
the guys that are actually doing the install:

Cheers,
Wim.

>>You are calling from the cygwin prompt?  Not from the DOS prompt?

It seems to be a quite curious question, because at the address

http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/research/mercury/download/release.html

it is clearly specified for installing the Cygwin version of Mercury:

To install, open a Cygwin bash shell, and type in the commands
"tar zxf mercury-0.11.0.i686-pc-cygwin.tar.gz"
"cd mercury-0.11.0-i686-pc-cygwin"
"CC=gcc sh configure"
and then
"make install".

You need to invoke configure with "CC=gcc sh configure".

It is exactly what we did and we had the errors you know. What about the
version of gcc? We have a 3.3 version (as in my previous mail and attached
image) and on the Mercury page they say that

We recommend GCC 2.95.*, 3.1.*, or 3.2. More recent releases may also work

but the actual version of cygwin comes with the 3.3 version of gcc

Regards,

Radu

P.S. I tried to call the "CC=gcc sh configure" command from a DOS prompt
and the result is a runtime error...