[mercury-users] New to mercury: structure reuse and efficiency

diffense diffense at mfire.com
Tue Jun 22 08:52:15 AEST 2004

Hi,

I'm just discovering mercury and I am very intrigued. I think it's one of the
most elegant programming language I've ever seen. However, the c++ programmer
in me is worried about the inefficiency that can result from frequent copying
of datastructures.

I have been reading papers on comple time garbage collection and structure
reuse which date back from the late 90s. They suggest that work was well under
way to include these optimizations into the compiler. I'm curious as to
whether features such as automatic inference of di and ui modes and well as
structure reuse have been implemented in the compiler yet. I'd really like to
be able to learn mercury programming in the most natural way without worrying
excessively about efficiency. Furthermore, I intend to use it for applications
where efficiency will be important.

Thanks for your responses and keep up the fine work.