[mercury-users] Why is --infer-all not the deafult?

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Jul 13 13:38:42 AEST 2004

On 09-Jul-2004, Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever at tin.it> wrote:
> It seems strange to me that --infer-all is not a default option when
> compiling. Why is that?

Partly historical -- Mercury originally didn't support inference, and
when type and inference were first added they were not sufficiently
robust to enable by default.

But also because we think that writing explicit declarations is good
programming practice, since it makes programs easier for a reader
to understand.

--
Fergus Henderson                    |  "I have always known that the pursuit