[mercury-users] Why won't mercury-0.11.i686-pc-cygwin configure?

Peter Ross pro at missioncriticalit.com
Wed Oct 22 17:21:13 AEST 2003

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 05:43:37PM -0700, Byron Hale wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried a cygwin installation, but get the configure error:
> "compiler cannot create executables." What is this likely
> to mean in this context. The compiler seems to be gcc 3.2.

As an aside I tried to build the source distribution last weekend
under cygwin and got an internal compiler error from gcc 3.2 when
compiling tree234.c.  I haven't had enough time to track it down any
further.

However with gcc 3.2 20020927 here at work Mercury builds fine.

> What could be done about this? After waiting for years to
> have a Mercury installation, I'm getting a bit antsy.
>
> I have, currently, RH Linux 7.3 i686 and WinNT/VC++6/7.

You can also build using VC++ 6.0 (tested) and 7.0 (should work, but not
tested) see the file README.MS-VisualC.

Pete