[mercury-users] newby question--example build fails on Mac

Roy Ward roy at videoscript.com
Thu May 22 14:39:56 AEST 2003

Fergus Henderson wrote:
> On 20-May-2003, Keith Braithwaite <keith at keithbraithwaite.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I have MacOS 10.2.5 running on a G4 with gcc 3.1 and GNU make 3.79 I

>>/usr/local/mercury-0.11.0/lib/mercury/inc/mercury_dlist.h:72: macro or
>>#include recursion too deep
>

> Unfortunately the binary distribution of Mercury 0.11.0 for MacOS
> doesn't work properly on newer versions of MacOS, due to changes
> made by Apple.  For details including how to solve the problem, see
> <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/research/mercury/mailing-lists/mercury-users/mercury-users.0305/0052.html>.

I've found that to use Mercury effectively on MacOSX, I use the
gcc_select (found in /usr/sbin, must be run with root privileges):

gcc_select 2

This sets the gcc version to 2.95.2 which I believe does work (last time
I checked). A nuisance if you are doing other things that require gcc
version 3.

I started to look into getting it going properly on gcc version 3
(looking into the `-traditional-cpp' can of worms), but haven't had the
time to look at this properly.

Cheers,
Roy.