[mercury-users] Strange segfault has moved

Nicholas Nethercote njn25 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 28 06:26:52 AEDT 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Ondrej Bojar wrote:

> I'm trying to catch a strange segfault in a quite a big Mercury+C+CPP
> (using libraries and sockets to connect to a server written in Free
> Pascal) project for fourteen days already.
>
> I'd be very grateful to anybody who would wish to try to reproduce the bug
> or possibly suggest any hint. I've tried to use mpatrol or efence to watch
> for any heap misuse, but I was not able to link any of the libraries
> together with the code from Mercury. Is anybody aware of any library
> compatible with Mercury to perform such checks?

Have you tried Valgrind?  See developer.kde.org/~sewardj/

You won't have any linking problems because it does all that stuff for you
dynamically -- you just have to run:

  valgrind <name-of-prog>

It should give more information than mpatrol and efence.  I recommend
version 1.9.4 rather than the "stable" 1.0.4;  1.9.4 is actually more
stable.