[mercury-users] Installation problem on MacOS X

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Jan 28 13:36:56 AEDT 2003

On 28-Jan-2003, Roy Ward <roy at videoscript.com> wrote:
> I'm very pleased that MacOS X is now a supported platform for Mercury.
>
> However, I've encountered a problem trying to install Mercury on MacOS X
> - it fails during configuration with:
>
> >checking for an integer type with the same size as a pointer... unknown
> >configure: error: Cannot determine the length modifier for the MR_Integer
> >type.
> This occurs with both 11.0 and 11.1-beta (2003-01-24), using MacOS X
> version 10.2.3, with the default gcc version of: "GCC version 1040,
> based on gcc version 3.1 20020105 (experimental)"
>
> If I switch to the older included version of gcc (using gcc_switch)
> "version gcc-937.2, based on gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)", it
> works fine, however I'd quite like to use the more recent gcc if possible.

I don't know for sure, but my guess is that this problem is due to a change
in behaviour in GCC which has been reverted in more recent versions of GCC.
In particular, I think the problem is that GCC 3.1 issues a
warning when invoked with `-I/usr/local/include',
and this warning confuses autoconf configure scripts --
autoconf, perhaps unfortunately, treats any warnings as fatal.
This change to GCC was reverted in the FSF GCC because it broke
the configuration scripts for too many packages.

The Mercury 0.11.* configuration script already contains a work-around for
this, to not pass -I/usr/local/include for GCC, but maybe this
work-around is not being enabled for some reason.
Could you please post me the `configure.log' and `config.log' files?

If my guess is correct, then using a more recent version of GCC
(e.g. 3.2.1) would solve the problem.  But I would like to make it
work with GCC 3.1 too.