[mercury-users] Wow! It worked on Mingw [was: Many data elements...]

Douglas Auclair dauclair at msn.com
Mon Feb 10 09:43:12 AEDT 2003

Dear all,

The program I described earlier that didn't work on the cygwin-mercury
system version 0.10.1 worked just fine when I used the mingw-mercury system
version 0.11.0.  No code changed.

The mingw system is great!  I've run into a few issues:

1) mmc --make seems not to work.  On whatever module I try it, it complains
that it cannot find builtin.m (whether it's a single module that produces an
executable or a group of modules).  mmc does not have this problem.  So, I'm
currently using mmake <module>.depend and mmake <module> to deliver my
executables for groups of modules and mmc <module> for a single-module
executable.
2) The generated executable needs cygwin1.dll to run, which seems to
indicate a cygwin dependency, even when using mercury_compile.mingw (which
is not a problem, but should I then include cygwin1.dll with my
deliveries?).
3) There's a hard-coded path dependency:  I installed the compiler into
h:\languages\mercury (aka /cygdrive/h/languages/mercury), but when I did
that, mmc complained that it could not find
/usr/local/mercury-0.11.0-mingw/bin/i686-pc-cygwin/mercury-compile[.mingw],
even though I had my MERCURY_HOME environmental variable set.

Thanks to all who responded to my queries on this topic.  And thank you,
Fergus, for providing the Cygnus and Mingw ports.

Sincerely,
Doug Auclair