[mercury-users] build error (CLR: not found)

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Feb 4 12:28:33 AEDT 2003

On 03-Feb-2003, Wendelin Reich <wreich at gmx.net> wrote:
> Thanks, everything works now. The problem was that I have Visual
> Studio.NET installed and thought this would suffice as a substitute for
> the .NET SDK, but ./configure doesn't realize that VS.NET installs tools
> like cl.exe under C:\Program Files. I reinstalled the SDK and everything
> compiled just fine.
>
> Could I ask you to make a note of this in README.DotNET (e.g., after
> "The port is currently targetted at the Microsoft .NET SDK version 1."
> you could add "Users of Visual Studio.NET currently have to install the
> SDK for the configuration and compilation to work, but it can be
> deinstalled afterwards.)?

Hmm.  I don't think that should be necessary.  I think that the cl.exe
from Visual Studio.NET ought to work fine.  It just needs to be in
your PATH.  The README.DotNet file already says the following:

 |  If you have installed the .NET SDK as part of Visual
 |           Studio .NET, you will need to put the Visual Studio
 |           binaries in your path, and set appropriate environment
 |           variables.  The easiest way to do this is to put the line
 |
 | call "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio.NET\Common7\Tools\vsvars32.bat"
 |
 |           into your cygwin.bat file (installed on the desktop by cygwin),
 |           after the line that says @echo off.
 |           Substitute your Visual Studio installation path for the default
 |           path given here.

Perhaps you missed that step?

> Regarding the Mingw and Cygwin binary distributions for x86 and
> MS-Windows, I just saw that currently four of the six respective links
> from http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/research/mercury/download/release.html
> (including your own) are broken (only those to FTP sites work).

Thanks, I will fix this.