[mercury-users] maybe(T)

Ralph Becket rafe at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Oct 21 10:44:00 AEST 2002

Michael Day, Monday, 21 October 2002:

> > Yes.  Well, close enough anyway.  We use a pointer to T to represent
> > yes(T) and we use a pointer with value "1" to represent no.
>
> Actually I made a mistake, the maybe(T) type has "no" as its *first*
> functor, not the second.  Does this affect its representation?

Maybe :-)

I believe that the compiler reserves a number of "impossible"
pointer values as representations for situations like these, so it might
be the case that the actual representation of `no' is slightly
different, but not materially.  Fergus?

Is this an issue you have to deal with or just a point of interest?

- Ralph