[mercury-users] DateStamps and Targets

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Oct 16 00:00:12 AEST 2002

On 15-Oct-2002, Noel  Pinto <cool4life at rediffmail.com> wrote:
> I want to know what is the difference between time stamps and date
> stamps.

There is no difference.  These two terms are used interchangably
to describe something that records *both* a date and a time.

(Probably we should have just used the phrase "time stamp"
consistently throughout the user manual.)

> Targets are 'main-module.depend', 'main-module.ints' and more. I
> want to know what is MAIN_TARGET in respect with other targets.  I
> really cannot figure why is it needed?? and also how is it
> used??

If you type `mmake' and you don't specify any target, then it will
build the target specified by the MAIN_TARGET variable.

For example, your Makefile could contain

	depend: myprog.depend
	all: myprog

	MAIN_TARGET = do_it_all

	do_it_all:
		mmake depend
		mmake all

Then, if you type `mmake', it has the same effect as typing
`mmake do_it_all'.