[mercury-users] String module clarifications

Mark Brown dougl at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Nov 29 14:49:09 AEDT 2002

On 28-Nov-2002, Noel  Pinto <cool4life at rediffmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have some queries regarding a syntax in string module.

For somebody who writes a sentence like that, you've got a lot of
nerve to continually quote dictionary passages at us.

> The string__int_to_base_string converts a string in a specifed
> base to an integer. The base is defined in foldoc as a radix,
> which is defined as (Or "base", "number base") In a positional
> representation of numbers, that integer by which the significance
> of one digit place must be multiplied to give the significance of
> the next higher digit place. Conventional decimal numbers are
> radix ten, binary numbers are radix two.
>
> I want to know the logic, the reason  or how is the one digit
> place multipled and with what is it multiplied??? How is the
> significance given to the next higher digit place???

Noel, it's time you found a more appropriate forum to ask these
sort of questions.  In case you haven't figured it out already, this
mailing-list is intended for "general discussion about Mercury and
related matters of interest to Mercury users", and it is in many cases
a bit of a stretch to say that your questions come under that heading.
As you may have observed, this is not the sort of place where everybody
jumps down your throat as soon as you post something off-topic, but
even tolerant people have their limits and these limits must be observed
if the mailing-list is to be anything more than a waste of everyone's
time.

And when you find another forum, Noel, please make sure that it is a
forum that is appropriate to your own level of understanding, whatever
that may be.  That way, you will get the most benefit out of the
experience, and I'm certain that the patient and generous people who
take the time to answer your questions will appreciate that too.

Regards,
Mark Brown.
PhD student, CSSE dept, Melbourne University.