[mercury-users] some [T] ...

David Overton dmo at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Nov 18 17:15:42 AEDT 2002

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 03:44:00PM +1100, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> The second and more serious issue is that values of sub-types can't be
> easily stored in and retrieved from the container types provided by
> the standard library, since the standard library routines for creating
> and accessing container types are not polymorphically moded.  The Mercury
> compiler now supports polymorphic modes, so this issue could be solved
> by changing the standard library to use polymorphic modes.  However,
> we have not yet done so, mainly because we have observed that doing so
> would significantly increase compilation time for programs that use the
> affected parts of the standard library (i.e. almost all programs).

Actually, it shouldn't have a significant affect on compilation time of
most programs that use the standard library.  But it does have a major
impact on the compilation time of the standard library itself, thus
making it a nuisance for the Mercury developers and users who want to
install Mercury from source.

David
--
David Overton                  Uni of Melbourne     +61 3 8344 9159
dmo at cs.mu.oz.au                Monash Uni (Clayton) +61 3 9905 5779