[mercury-users] File Handling predicates io__tmpnam

Michael Wybrow mjwybrow at students.cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Nov 6 23:46:59 AEDT 2002

On 6 Nov 2002, Noel  Pinto wrote:

> I would like to know...
> 1) Does deprecate mean depreciate here? What I understand it means
> disapproved of. Plz tell me Why??

Basically yes, it means we "disapprove of its use".  Since it has been
superseded by io__make_temp, this is a predicate we would like to remove
from the library.  It is impractical to just remove it without giving
users any notice.  Thus, we mark it deprecated to warn against its use and
remove it at some later date.

> 2) What is a race condition??

A race conditions occurs when you have multiple threads that write to some
shared data structure at the same time.  In cases like this you may end up
with a combination of these changes, garbling the data - certainly not a
good thing!

Cheers,
Michael