[mercury-users] efficiency questions

Robert Colvin robert at csee.uq.edu.au
Tue Feb 5 16:23:29 AEDT 2002

Hi, I was wondering whether the list operations take, drop, and split_list are
implemented in constant time, or whether they use the usual iterative approach
to traverse lists.  I'd like to use lists for their simplicity rather than move
to arrays (I assume array__fetch_items/4 is relatively quick), but also need
efficiency (this is for theoretical work, not an actual implementation).
I realise one should not rely on the efficiency of an implementation, but it
would be nice to justify the use of lists.

Thanks,
Rob