[mercury-users] io__error

Michael Day mikeday at yeslogic.com
Thu Aug 1 12:54:12 AEST 2002

> Creating a new result type every time is pretty trivial, IMHO.
> So this really doesn't buy you all that much.

It's not creating the type that's hard, it's all the name clashes. I get
pretty sick of foo__res, bar__res, io__res, and having to module qualify
everything when they're all basically the same type. I get a lot more use
out of the maybe_error types, but they of course do not have eof...

> However, if you think it is worthwhile, feel free to post a patch for
> this to <mercury-reviews at cs.mu.oz.au>...

Sure :)

> So code that called err_msg would, after the type class was extended,
> only work with error/1 values constructed from io__errors.
> In other words it would achieve no more reusability than you
> already get today with io__error_message.

True, that sucks.

Michael