[mercury-users] map and c_pointer

Michael Day mikeday at bigpond.net.au
Mon Apr 15 12:09:19 AEST 2002

> Just as a side note, address comparison doesn't work for backends with
> garbage collectors which move pointers.  In general it is not a good idea
> to do things this way -- you should use a stable name for this kind
> of code.  We don't have a general stable name system yet.

While interesting, surely this only matters for the case where you're
manipulating Mercury allocated pointers for some nefarious back end
specific purpose. If the pointers are allocated by an external C library
then your garbage collector can't touch them and conservative garbage
collection must be used in such cases.

Michael