[mercury-users] This Year's Mercury Entry for the ICF 2001 Contest

Michael Day mikeday at bigpond.net.au
Fri Sep 28 10:58:28 AEST 2001

> It's not quite clear to me where 'sh', 'make', or even 'mmc' fit into
> this.

Complicated; they consume a stream and then call other commands and
generate output based on the contents of the input stream.

:- func sh(stream(T)) = stream(derived_from_somehow(T)).

And I haven't considered standard error stream either.

Don't even want to think about programs that manipulate the terminal like
vi or pine.

Rather than assuming that commands like cp can have arbitrary side
effects, it would be nice to have some kind of definition of the
unix filesystem and be able to express the transformations that commands
can have upon it...

Michael