[mercury-users] Re: Welcome to mercury-users

Vic Bancroft bancroft at zvolve.net
Thu Oct 11 06:11:21 AEST 2001

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 02:08:17PM +1000, Fergus Henderson wrote:

> Basically that means that the Mercury compiler has been miscompiled.

As one might suspect after a first taste of the blues in a few years ;>

> That kind of thing can be difficult to debug, so I recommend trying grade
> hlc.gc, as I suggested earlier, or grade none.gc or reg.gc.
> (For the latter two, all you need to do is to use the normal source
> distribution and add `GRADE=none.gc' or `GRADE=reg.gc' to Mmake.params.

When I added "GRADE=reg.gc" to the Mmake.params and reran "make", it
compiled all the way through, did the installation and only failed
trying to "make clean" as follows :

   gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/mercury-compiler-0.10.1/boehm_gc'
   rm -rf Release
   rm -f libgc.a libgc.so libpar_gc.a libpar_gc.dll
           cd scripts; for file in *.in; do rm -f `basename ile .in`; done
           rm -f Mmake.common runtime/mercury_conf.h
           rm -f boehm_gc/mercury_boehm_gc_conf.h bindist/bindist.build_vars
           rm -f config.cache config.status config.log
           MMAKE_DIR=`pwd`/scripts scripts/mmake  clean
   /tmp/mmake22798-0/mmake:569: Mmake.common: A file or directory in the path name does not exist.
   if [ -f ./config.status ]; then \
           ./config.status --recheck; \
   else \
           echo "======> You need to run configure!"; \
           exit 1; \
   fi
   ======> You need to run configure!
   gmake: *** [config.status] Error 1

The compiler seems to work (somewhat), since "mmake depend" and
"mmake" in the samples directory runs all the way through!

Oddly enough, the resulting executables do not run . . .

Could there an environment variable set by mmake that I do not have in
my environment ?

> For hlc.gc, you need different versions of the C files, so as I said earlier
> I'll set up a different source distribution for that.)

Great!  Just let me know where to get it when it is time to try it.

more,
l8r,