[mercury-users] XML Parsing (fwd)

Thomas Conway conway at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Jun 8 14:47:24 AEST 2001

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 11:48:18AM EST, Michael Day wrote:
> >From what I can see, 40% of the time is being spent in
> xml:parse:chars:baseChar/2, which makes it look like character
> interpretation *is* the culprit after all. Comments from people who know
> how to understand profiles would be nice.
>
> (the program executed was tryit compiled with -O6 and mgnuc with -O2 run
> on a largish XML file with namespaces)

Well, I just examined the C code and it's not hard to see what the
problem is.  The closure is not being constructed as a static ground
term, so the C code is constructing that whole horrible thing for each
character of input it tries to read.  I'm not certain, and I don't have
time to look right now, but I'm pretty sure this is a bug in the compiler.

--
  Thomas Conway )O+
 <conway at cs.mu.oz.au>       499 User error! Replace user, and press any key.