[mercury-users] Java Parameterized Types

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Jun 7 13:29:29 AEST 2001

On 06-Jun-2001, Tom Howland <tom.howland at us.xacct.com> wrote:
> Did you know that there is a push towards giving Java parameterized types?
>
>  http://jcp.org/jsr/detail/14.jsp
>
> I wonder if that would help porting Mercury to the JVM.

Unfortunately not.  Giving Java parameterized types could make the
resulting port more efficient, but it would in fact make doing the
port harder rather than easier.

BTW, Julien Fischer's work on a Java back-end is incorporated in the
latest release-of-the-day snapshots of the Mercury compiler.
The port is not yet complete, but Julien's summer studentship has finished.

The main features lacking are these:

	- support for things which are handled using function pointers in the
	  C back-end (multidet and nondet predicates, higher order functions)
	- handling inline Java code (`pragma foreign_proc("Java", ...)')
	- the Mercury standard library procedures which are implemented in C
	  need to be also implemented in Java

If someone wants to pick up this ball and run with it, now would be as
good a time as any...