[mercury-users] XML Parsing

Michael Day mikeday at corplink.com.au
Sat Jun 2 11:32:03 AEST 2001

Hi,

I've complained about this before, but just for the sake of repetition
I'll give it another try.

I recently wrote a DTD -> XML Schema converter in Mercury with the
assistance of Moose, which made it very easy and quite efficient.

I tried going the other way and writing an XML Schema -> DTD converter,
which hit a snag due to the fact that the XML parser in mercury-extras
takes 42 seconds to parse a simple XML file that takes under a second to
parse with any other XML parser.

Aside from the astonishingly poor performance, the parser seems well
written and full featured. It would be a shame not to be able to use it.
Does anyone have even the most tentative estimate of when the parser
combinator style of programming will be compiled into something
approaching efficiency?

Michael