[mercury-users] Problem with mmake

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Jun 1 21:10:17 AEST 2001

On 01-Jun-2001, Richard A. O'Keefe <ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz> wrote:
> > Could you check if the problem still occurs after running `mmake xml.clean'?
>
> Making an asm_fast program now works,

Great!

> but the "GC_stackbottom" problem is not fixed by that.
>
> f% mmake xml.clean
> f% mmake xml
> f% time xml
> ld.so.1: xml: fatal: relocation error: file xml: symbol GC_stackbottom: referenced symbol not found

GC_stackbottom is supposed to be provided by Mercury's libgc.so.

Ah, I just spotted a crucial line from the output of `ldd' in your
earlier mail:

        libgc.so =>      /opt/SUNWspro/lib/libgc.so

That is the wrong version of libgc.so.

Still, despite the name clash, I'm not sure why it is picking up
that version of libgc.so.  I'd never noticed the presence of another
libgc.so on Solaris machines until now, but the Mercury linker passes the
directory to search for libgc.so in explicit `-R' options when linking,
which should cause the runtime loader to search those directories first.
It seems to work fine on my Solaris 2.7 box, which also has
/opt/SUNWspro/lib/libgc.so.

Do you have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set?