[mercury-users] this appears to be a mixin

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Wed Jul 11 13:15:22 AEST 2001

I wrote:
	> What is a mixin class?  The term comes from the old "Flavors"
	> system for Lisp, and refers to American ice-cream vending
	> practices.

Peter Schachte wrote:
	Actually, it was just one ice cream vendor in Cambridge frequented by MIT
	people.  I believe it was called Steve's.  They had vanilla ice cream and
	racks and racks of things you could add to it (mixins) like various kinds of
	lollies, candy bars, syrups, cookies, etc.  The mixins and ice cream would
	go into a machine to be crushed and mixed and then served.  This is why the
	flavors system calls the default base class "vanilla."  It's an interesting
	case of design by metaphor.

But I've had ice-cream with mixins in Palo Alto, in a group from Quintus.