[mercury-users] What does logic buy us over pure functional programming?

Terrence Brannon princepawn at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 30 21:40:39 AEST 2001

I have been mulling over what a logic language really adds to one's
programming arsenal. I mean, if you think about it, it seems that it
basically adds two things:

1 - reversable functions. In other words, it seems to be a wonderful
thing to have a version of append that appends input to output, but
also one which shows what input might have made the output. However,
this is do-able in functional languages too.

2 - depth-first database search - well, when this is useful, it
certainly can be implemented in under 4 hours.

Fact assertion is nothing unique to logic languages. You can create
fact assertions in functional languages.