[mercury-users] Re:[mercury-users] difference between is and =?

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Apr 27 20:36:11 AEST 2001

On 27-Apr-2001, Terrence Brannon <princepawn at earthlink.net> wrote:
> in the last clause of this function, is is used instead of =. Why is
> this?  In fact, what is is?

It's for "hysterical raisins": originally this code was written so that it
would work with a Prolog compiler.  In Prolog, you need to use "is"
rather than "=" for arithmetic expression evaluation.
Originally the Mercury compiler was written in the intersection of
Prolog and Mercury, so that we could use a Prolog compiler to bootstrap it.
So the Mercury compiler allowed the use of "is" in Mercury,
treating it just as a synonym for "=".

Nowadays we don't use a Prolog compiler for bootstrapping.
But the Mercury compiler still allows this use of "is".