[mercury-users] 4th place

Peter Ross peter.ross at miscrit.be
Fri Sep 22 00:37:54 AEDT 2000

>From message posted by Julian Assange to comp.lang.functional:

A few hours ago Xavier Leroy sent me this:

Here are the official results for the ICFP 2000 programming contest:

First prize: the PLClub team from University of Pennsylvania
(J. Vouillon, H. Hosoya, V. Gapeyev, E. Sumii).  Language used: OCaml.

Second prize: the Camls 'R Us team from INRIA Rocquencourt
(S. Ailleret, P. Cuoq, D. Doligez, R. Harley, F. Le Fessant, X. Leroy,
A. Schmitt).  Language used: OCaml.

Third place: the Galois Connection team from the start-up company with
the same name (J. Launchbury and 4 other persons whose names I
couldn't write down).  Language used: Haskell.

Fourth place: a team of 13 distributed among Australia, Belgium and the
UK, including F. Henderson.  Language used: Mercury.

Judge's prize for the best sample image: a chess game by team Helikopter
(A. Rossberg, L. Kornstaed) from U. Saarlandes (I think).

There were 39 entries, with teams ranging from 1 to 13 persons.
Breakdown by language used:

        C, C++          7
        Clean           1
        Dylan           1
        Eiffel          1
        Haskell         6
        Java            6
        Mercury         1
        ML              9
        Perl            2
        Python          1
        Scheme          2
        Smalltalk       2

Not a bad year for OCaml.  And my personal congratulations to Jérôme
Vouillon and his friends for a truly outstanding performance!