[mercury-users] garbage collection

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Oct 31 12:06:33 AEDT 2000

On 30-Oct-2000, Michael Day <mcda at students.cs.mu.oz.au> wrote:

> > Most garbage collectors and memory allocators provide some functionality
> > for tuning the behaviour of the collector/allocator, but the details vary.
> > In general, the need for tuning, the type of tuning required, and the
> > effectiveness of such tuning are going to be inherently system-dependent.
>
> Okay, how about providing boehm_gc, net_gc, etc modules on a
> system-dependent basis, and a portable gc module that allows programs to
> set hints to the garbage collector (like, collect now please, I've got
> some spare cycles to burn) which are not guaranteed to be honoured,
> depending on the platform?

Sounds good.

> (Incidentally, there seemed to be an enormous delay between my sending the
> messages I sent. Is mercury-users moderated, lagged or just weird?)

mercury-users is partly moderated.  Messages from people subscribed to
the list are normally approved automatically, but messages from people
who are not subscribed to the list or which meet certain automatically
checked criteria (e.g. subject line contains "subscribe") are manually
moderated.  In your case, you are sometimes posting to the list from a
different email address than the one you are subscribed as, so your
messages get moderated.  I was away from my email for a few days (I
went to ObjectWorld conference in Sydney) and forgot to delegate that
moderation task to someone else before I left, hence the noticable
delay.